Monday, August 25, 2008

Sam's Club

Cheese Mozzarella 5 lbs. $12.84
Gallon of milk $3.52
3 cans Contadina Tomatoes - 6lbs, 9 oz each $2.08 ($6.24 total)
2 lbs. cheddar cheese $5.88
12 jumbo rolls paper towels $13.37
Large chop meat $9.46
Large chop meat $9.93

Grand total $61.24


  • 3 cans of tomatoes (along with a few other ingredients) will allow me to make 3 huge batches of sauce.
  • I took some of the meat and put it aside (then made a huge batch of meatballs from it!).
  • I divided the remaining meat into 4 bags and froze them, each big enough to be the big part of a meal for the 5 of us. For instance, a batch of Sloppy Joe's (or sloppy Joe DiMaggio's one of Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals), tacos or burgers.
  • The milk will last the week.
  • The paper towels should last 3-4 weeks, hopefully more as I've been using washable rags/towels whenever possible.
  • I know, I bought a lot of cheese. But there is a method to my madness. Five pounds of part skim milk shredded mozzarella cost me $12.84. I'm usually paying about $4.89 for 16 oz., but if I buy bulk it's only $2.57 for 16 oz. I figured I could freeze it and it would last longer. They do it on frozen pizza so why not? So I did it. I tried one medium sized batch and it worked!! I will save a ton of money on cheese this way, I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. Next I'll try shredding the cheddar and freezing it. My expectations are not as high, but I'm hopeful.

No comments: